Monday, April 21, 2008

i am a bug geek.



this is my favorite thing i've ever embroidered. it's a cicada on a white tee shirt.

i really miss the cicadas. it's officially been 4 years since brood X visited northern virginia/dc. i remember my bio teacher took us out digging for little ones. today i saw a white webbish thing in a tree, and almost 100 tiny caterpillars were wriggling around it. bugs are always better in large numbers, dont you agree?

click here for a really awesome stop action molting cicada. if you dont like bugs, you might not want to watch.

speaking of bugs,



this is herbert. he was my dead bee. he was really cool while i had him. but i got drunk one night and got a little too rough. he split in two. now i can't listen to Tom Petty's "You Wreck Me" without a heavy heavy heart. ("you wreck me baby, you break me in two"). that album also has "Honey Bee." it's a guilty listen.

p.s. 5oth post!!!

1 comment:

rachel said...

1 I wrote my college essay about cicadas.
2 ellie and I found a dead bee behind mcguffy downtown and we were going to bring it to you, but, well, it turns out it wasn't quite dead yet, and I felt weird about waiting for it to die.